Official Minutes – 18 May – Little Compton PC

page
365

minutes of the Little
Compton Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 18 May 2009

Present:
Cllrs Cox, Gillett, Gorst and Moorman, Warwickshire CC Cllr Saint and
Stratford DC Cllr Gray

Parish
Clerk Susan Cox, and 18 members of the public.

1.
Election of Chairman

Cllr
Gillett was elected as Chairman, Proposed by Cllr Moorman, Seconded
Cllr Gorst.

The
Chairman welcomed Councillors members of the public to the meeting.

2.
Election of Vice Chairman

Cllr
Moorman was elected as Vice-Chairman, proposed Cllr Gillett, seconded
Cllr Gorst.

3.
Declarations of Interest

There
were none.

4.
Apologies for absence

The
Clerk reported that Cllr Bartlett had tendered her resignation for
personal reasons. She was absent from the meeting.

Fourteen
working days are allowed for 10 villagers registered as electors to
apply in writing to Stratford District Council asking for an election
to be held. Costs for such an election would be met from the precept.
It is usual procedure for a co-option by the Parish Council to fill
the vacancy. Applications should be made in writing to the Parish
Clerk.

5.
Minutes of the meeting held on 16 March 2009

There
were two amendments to the minutes

Item
8 – Flooding – Nigel Chetwynd was incorrectly spelled.

The
amount of £20,000 (twenty thousand pounds) was approved for
works…..

6.
Matters Arising from the minutes

Social
Housing – Phil Ward has taken over from Charles Barlow as
Warwickshire Rural Housing Enabler. A walk around the village with Mr
Ward and Councillors will be arranged to identify sites suitable for
any future projects.

Cllr
Gray reported he had made enquiries regarding the outside areas of
Jordans Orchard. Each tenant is responsible for the area immediately
outside their property, the hedgerow is maintained by a service
provider, the area between to hedgerow and the road is a highways
verge and will be maintained by Warwickshire CC.

page
366

The
clerk had not purchased more dog-fouling signs as these were already
in place.

7.
Date of next meeting

Monday
20 July 2009

8.
Questions and comments from the public

Mr
McLean reported that the playground sign by the telephone box had
been turned parallel with the main road, whereas it was intended to
be angled so it could be seen from both this road and Washbrook Lane.
Cllr Gillett agreed to rectify this, and to remove the brown arrow
which had been fixed on the pole.

Mr
Evans reported he had not been consulted regarding the need for more
social housing. The Clerk reported that the consultation forms were
delivered with Centrepoint in the Autumn and had shown the need for 6
more social housing units.

9.
Cemetery Entrance

Mr
Kevin Perkins had revisited the site and has now quoted for concrete
kerbs to be included. His quote now stands at £4150 + VAT. The
other quotes for the same work are considerably more. Cllr Gillett
proposed we accept Mr K Perkins’ quote, seconded by Cllr Gorst.

10.
Flooding Prevention/Road Repairs

The
culvert under Washbrook Lane has been investigated, and some tree
roots and a service cable have been found. This bridge and that under
the A44 are now on the annual inspection rota. Warwickshire CC are
now contacting Mr McKerron regarding clearing and reinstatement of
the ongoing ditch.

The
pothole team will be revisiting the village within the next two
weeks. This will be followed with the village road from the A44 to
Oakham being tarmaced and top dressed.

A
meeting took place between Jeff Morris and Mr Foley regarding
Redlands Corner. Mr Foley assured the Chairman that a representative
of the Parish Council would be involved in any future discussions.

The
dynamics of the village flooding was discussed. Mr Bamford had joined
the meeting and had agreed that the trees at the corner could be
removed in order to help clear the drain. Mr Morris concluded that
any flooding/road problems were the responsibility of his department
and that our funds should be spent elsewhere. However the grant money
of £3,200 was obtained for works at Redlands Corner. Mr Foley
was thanked for his interest and the time he had given to these
problems.
page
367

11.
Playground report

Cllr
Gorst reported that the play equipment appeared to be in order.
However a tree was giving some concern as it was leaning on another
tree at a worrying angle. Mr Evans, Tree Warden, will investigate.

12.
Village Website – Cllr Gillett to report

A
website had been set up by Cllr Cox which was good, and the Parish
Council had chosen the website address for this. However, another
website was set up by Mr Foley which was equally good. Much
discussion and heated argument took place regarding the way this had
been done, the ambiguities and errors regarding fundraising for the
Parish Council and the church. A vote was taken and it was agreed
that the website set up by Mr Foley, www.
littlecompton.info
should be the official village
website.

13.
IT Equipment/SDC Grant

A
£5,000 grant had been received of which £2,115 had been
spent on a lap top computer and a scanner for village use, some
software, training provision and a domain name. The broadband bill
for the year is approximately £264, leaving £2,600
remaining. Mr Foley suggested buying a digital recorder in order to
make a record of the meetings freely available, but is was pointed
out the tape recorder used at meetings was for the use of the Clerk
only, for transcribing minutes.

The
Clerk will identify what software was purchased. It was agreed to
itemise the remaining grant money in the annual accounts, as there
was no immediate need for more expenditure.

14.
Review of Cemetery Charges

These
were not reviewed in 2008, but as the new cemetery was now in use, it
was agreed to increase all 2007 amounts by £5. Proposed Cllr
Gorst, Seconded Cllr Gillett.

15.
Approval of expenditure

Insurance
£691.19

WALC
Fee £ 83.00

Business
Rates £ 84.17

D
Didcote £452.00
(and
permission to pay future invoices)

Burial
book £150.00

Proposed
Cllr Gorst, Seconded Cllr Gillett

16.
Planning applications

Sian
Thomas of Hawton Farm had asked the Parish Council to support her
letter to Stratford District Council Planning Department concerning
building works at Wheelbarrow Castle (Barton on the Heath Parish). Ms
Thomas owns the farm track which is a bridleway giving access to
Wheelbarrow Castle and
page
368

was
most concerned that contractors vehicles and materials do not block
the track. It was agreed to write a letter of support in this matter.

17.
Correspondence

*
The Fouling of Land by Dogs Order 2009

*
Information Commissioners Office Freedom of Information Act

*
SDC Decorum, April 2009

*
Warwickshire Climate Change Partnership conference 19 September

*Cotswold
Conservation Board meeting 26 March

A
letter from Ann Hanks, Ashlea, regarding the verge outside her
property which she is unable to mow due the drainage ditch dug by
Warwickshire CC workmen some years ago. The Clerk will talk with Jeff
Morris WCC, to see what improvements can be made.

*previously
circulated

18.
Other Business

1.
Tidy the Village Day – Sunday June 7

2.
What appears to be two lampposts have appeared on the A44 between the
village and Kitebrook. Cllr Saint knows nothing about these, but will
make further enquiries. The Clerk will contact Mike Cunningham,
Warwickshire County Council.

3.
Cllr Saint reminded the Parish Council that he was generally
available to attend meetings in order to support issues such as flood
relief. County Highways is undergoing a complete reorganisation. Cllr
Saint is very much behind this as it will mean that funding will be
more centralised and strictly controlled. Each project will now have
a case officer, more long term projects will be looked at, and Cllr
Saint has hopes things will run more smoothly.

4.
Cllr Gray urged everyone to use their vote for the District Council
Elections.

The
meeting closed at 8.30 pm

Comments are closed.